If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless but your circumstances mean you do not qualify for assistance from Barnet Homes, you may qualify for support from other organisations.

This page contains information for people who:

  • Need help with a rent deposit
  • Need access to services for rough sleepers
  • Need information on other routes to find accommodation

Help with rent deposits

St Mungo’s Broadway has now been brought in-house at Barnet Homes. If you are single, eligible, and homeless, you may be able to access one of the below schemes for assistance securing private rented sector accommodation.

Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme

Barnet Homes’ Rent Deposit Guarantee Scheme has been set up to help single people and childless couples find accommodation in the private rented sector. As most landlords want a deposit and month’s rent in advance, this scheme encourages landlords to make accommodation available to tenants where they otherwise might not have been able to access it. You will be expected to enter into a contract with the landlord and Barnet Homes which will cover the terms of the deposit guarantee. We pay four weeks’ rent in advance and guarantee deposit in bond form.

You must be eligible to claim Housing Benefit, have a local connection with Barnet, and capable of independent living with no support needs. You must be willing to look into your own future housing options. For more information, phone 0208 359 4967.

Foundation Project

The Foundation Project pays four weeks’ rent in advance to the landlord or agent together with an incentive payment (£500 for studio or one bedroom flat and £250 for a single room). It does not guarantee deposit. You will also receive three months support after your tenancy begins.

If you are engaging with Outreach Barnet, Solace Women’s Aid, WDP, or probation services then you can be referred for this scheme. This scheme is suitable for those with low or medium support needs. For more information, phone 0208 359 4657.

Services for rough sleepers

Homeless Action in Barnet

Homeless Action in Barnet (HAB) provides day services for those who are homeless in Barnet. They are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 3pm. You do not need to be referred to Homeless Action in Barnet, you can just turn up.

HAB can offer people who are homeless the following services free of charge:

  • Shower and washing facilities
  • A ‘care of’ postal address
  • Free internet access and telephone access for housing, benefits and employment related research and calls
  • GP & Nurse on a Monday & Wednesday
  • Breakfast (9am – 10.30am)
  • A clothes store
  • Support to access housing and benefits

HAB also offers the following services for a small fee:

  • Three course lunch (12pm – 1.30pm) – £1.50
  • Laundry facilities – £2 per load (or free if you are not receiving benefits).

Web: www.habcentre.org
Tel:  020 8446 8400
36b Woodhouse Road, North Finchley, London, N12 0RG

Homeless Action in Barnet is a short walk from Tally Ho Corner bus terminal, and can be reached by the following bus routes: 82, 125, 460, 263, 134, 22.


Streetlink is a London-wide charity which supports people who are sleeping on the streets and helps them access local services.

Web: http://www.streetlink.org.uk/

Tel: 0300 500 0914.

Other routes to find accommodation

There are other routes to find accommodation in the private sector.

New Horizon Youth Centre helps 18-24 year olds, while Hope Worldwide and St Paul’s Staging Post help single people to find accommodation.

To access these services, you need to be eligible for housing assistance and have a local connection to the Borough of Barnet.

For more information on whether you can access these services, call us on 0208 359 4797, or visit us at:

Barnet Homes,
3rd Floor
2 Bristol Avenue