Emergency exit

Increase security at your home through the Sanctuary Scheme

The Barnet Homes Sanctuary Scheme helps victims of domestic abuse who live in the London Borough of Barnet to remain in their own home, if it is safe to do so, by increasing the security at their home.

The Sanctuary Scheme is free to victims of domestic abuse. You can apply through Barnet Homes, Barnet Children’s Service, health professionals and other support services. You are eligible to apply if you live in council housing, housing association, private rented or owner-occupied property.

You are still eligible to apply even if you have no recourse to public funds.

You can find out more about the Barnet Homes Sanctuary scheme by clicking here.

Move to a Women’s Refuge

A Women’s Refuge is a safe house that provides support to women and their children who need to flee their home because of domestic abuse.
Refuges are run by trained female staff who can inform you of your options, so that you can make informed choices and make your own decisions to keep you safe. They can also help you and your children to access spaces in refuges across the UK. The addresses of refuges are kept confidential to make sure that the women and their children living there are safe.

The Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline is 0808 2000 247.

Claim Dual Housing Benefit for victims of Domestic Abuse

If you claim housing benefit and need to leave your home because of domestic abuse, you may be able to get housing benefit on two properties for a short period if you intend to return to your main home. To find out more, visit the Barnet Housing Benefit website by clicking here.

Move to another North London Borough if you are a secure tenant (whether council tenant or tenant of another registered landlord – such as a Housing Association)

If you are eligible for support from Barnet Homes, and are too frightened to stay in Barnet, you can apply for help in another borough where you feel safer. If you have a secure tenancy and are fleeing high-risk domestic abuse, we may support you to move to another North London Borough (Enfield, Haringey, Westminster, Islington, or Camden) through the North London Domestic Violence (DV) and Violence against Women and Girls (VAWG) Reciprocal Agreement. You can find out more by contacting us on 0208 359 4797.

Help you to rent a private sector property anywhere in the UK – if you are eligible for support from Barnet Homes

If you qualify for help from us and want to move out to a private rental property due to domestic violence, we may be able to help you. Please click here for more information, or call us on 0208 359 4797.

Male victims of domestic abuse should also seek advice about their options

Male victims of domestic violence can contact the Men’s Advice Line on 0808 801 0327 (9am to 3pm, Monday to Friday). This service offers practical advice, information and emotional support to male victims – as well as to concerned friends, family and frontline workers.

Male victims living in Barnet can receive support from male Independent Domestic Violence Advisers (IDVA). Barnet Solace Advocacy and Support Service provides this service. They can be contacted on 0208 733 4113, or you can visit their website by clicking here.

Barnet Homes recognises that men and boys also experience domestic abuse. Any victim of domestic abuse that contacts Barnet Homes will receive a sensitive and appropriate response, so that they get the help and support they need. We do not discriminate against sexuality, gender or religion. You can find out more by contacting us on 0208 359 4797.

If you are homeless in an emergency, please call Barnet Homes’ Housing Options service on 020 8610 3539 (Monday – Friday, 9AM – 5pm). If you need to speak to someone outside these hours, please call 020 8080 6587.

Emergency exit