The following changes to benefits may affect many Barnet Homes residents.

Child benefit

From April 2013 no family where an individual earns more than £60,000 a year will be entitled to receive child benefit.

It will be withdrawn on a gradual basis for individual earnings of more than £50,000 a year.

It does not apply to overall household income, so a family with two working parents who both earn less than £50,000 will continue to receive the same amount of child benefit.

Council tax benefit

The government has decided that council tax benefit will be abolished in April 2013 and replaced with local council tax reduction schemes.

Each local authority has to design its own scheme, based on a budget that is 10% lower than the current council tax benefit scheme.

Find out more on Barnet Council website.

Disability living allowance

From April 2013 the government is replacing disability living allowance for people aged between 16 and 64 with a new benefit called personal independent payment (PIP).

Anyone claiming the Personal Independence Payment will need to go through a medical assessment with an independent assessor. That includes reassessments for people who currently receive disability living allowance.

Applicants will receive either a standard rate or an enhanced rate, depending on the amount of help or assistance the medical assessment shows them to need.

Personal Independence Payment

As of 28 October 2013, the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is being rolled out to existing claimants of Disability Living Allowance (DLA).

PIP has replaced the DLA and is designed to support disabled people to live independent lives.

The new benefit includes face-to-face assessment and regular reviews.

If you need more information about the new Personal Independence Payment, please visit for more detail.

Benefits hotline

If you have any questions about the changes or want to discuss your options, call our hotline on 020 8359 4374.