If your property needs repairs (private sector tenants)

Contact your landlord if you think repairs are needed. If the problem could damage your health, contact them straight away.

Your landlord should tell you when you can expect the repairs to be done. You must carry on paying rent while you’re waiting. 

If repairs aren’t done

Contact Environmental Health at Barnet Council. Call 020 8359 7995, or email housingconditions@barnet.gov.uk – note this is for private sector tenants only. If you are a Barnet Homes tenant, please email talktous@barnethomes.org.

The Environmental Health team deals with problems such as damp and condensation, and they must take action if they think the problems could harm you or cause a nuisance to others.

More information and advice for when your landlord won’t carry out repairs can be found.

If your house isn’t fit to live in

If you think your home is unsafe, call Environmental Health at Barnet Council on 020 8359 7995.

For more information

For more information on your landlords’ responsibilities – and your responsibilities – click here.

Environmental Health (Private Sector Team), Barnet Council

This department of Barnet Council supports private sector tenants who are having problems with disrepair at their property, such as damp or condensation.

Web: https://www.barnet.gov.uk/citizen-home/housing-and-community/private-housing.html

Tel: 020 8359 7995

Email: housingconditions@barnet.gov.uk

The team also ensures that landlords of houses in multiple occupation (e.g. bedsits or shared houses) apply for a licence linked to specific management conditions to ensure tenant safety. Failure to have a licence is a criminal offence. If you live in an HMO and do not know if your landlord has applied for a licence email hmos@barnet.gov.uk with the details of your property and the team will look into this for you.