Barnet Homes manages four different kinds of tenancies:

  • introductory tenancies
  • flexible tenancies
  • secure ‘lifelong’ tenancies
  • non-secure tenancies.

Introductory tenancies

When you first become a Barnet Council tenant you will have an introductory tenancy for a trial period of one year.

This type of tenancy gives you fewer rights than a secure tenancy and less security. It can be ended more quickly by Barnet, so it’s important to keep to your tenancy conditions from the start.

Our tenancy conditions state that tenants must:

  • have consideration for those living around them and not cause or allow anti-social behaviour
  • pay their rent on time
  • look after their home
  • keep to all other tenancy conditions.

Your introductory tenancy will automatically become either a flexible or secure ‘lifelong’ tenancy after 12 months unless:

  • legal action has started to end your tenancy
  • Barnet Homes has extended your introductory tenancy because you have not kept its conditions.

Flexible tenancies

Most tenants who sign up to introductory tenancies will become flexible tenants after 12 months.

Single people under the age of 25 and some single people over the age of 25 will then be granted two year tenancies. All other flexible tenants will be granted five year tenancies including care leavers.

In effect that means flexible tenancies, including the introductory 12 months, will last for three or six years.

Tenants on a two-year flexible tenancy will be offered support through Barnet Homes to help them lead more independent lives and gain skills.

The circumstances of all flexible tenants will be reviewed at least eight months before the end of their tenancy. For example, flexible tenants may now have enough money to secure a home in the private rented sector, or they may need fewer bedrooms. Only when you are asked to do so by Barnet Homes, please complete the Flexible Tenancy Review Form which can be downloaded here.

If they are found to no longer need a council tenancy, they will be given six months notice. They will be offered support to find alternative housing. If the tenant refuses to move, then the normal eviction procedure will take effect.

You can find more information about flexible tenancies in our frequently asked questions guide.

Secure ‘lifelong’ tenancies

Before July 2012 most successful housing applicants were given a secure ‘lifelong’ tenancy.

As a secure tenant you have the right to stay in your home for as long as you choose, so long as you keep to the conditions set out in your tenancy agreement.

From July 2012 the following tenants will be granted a 12-month introductory tenancy, followed by a lifetime secure tenancy:

  • Secure tenants whose tenancy began before 9 July 2012 and who are moving into another council tenancy.
  • Older people who are in receipt of state pension and who will move into a non-regeneration property. Tenants of sheltered housing will also receive a secure tenancy.
  • Ex-armed forces personnel who have been both medically and honourably discharged and who have also seen active service.
  • Households where the applicant, their spouse or a dependant child is disabled and in receipt of certain disability benefits.
  • Households where the applicant or their spouse is terminally ill.

We will only seek possession of your property if you give us good reason to do so. That could be because you:

  • do not pay your rent on time, or do not pay it at all
  • provide false information on your housing application
  • harass other people, or allow your visitors to do so
  • cause a nuisance, or allow your visitors to do so
  • abandon your home or live permanently at another address
  • use your home for immoral or illegal purposes
  • break any other conditions of your tenancy agreement.

Non-secure tenancies

We grant non-secure tenancies to new tenants moving into some homes which will be affected by regeneration.

These are on the following estates:

  • Grahame Park
  • Dollis Valley

A non-secure tenancy is a weekly tenancy, which can be ended by giving four weeks notice and then obtaining an automatic possession order from the court.