Barnet Homes has confirmed that I have a housing need

If you qualify for help from us to find a new home, our Let2Barnet scheme can help you to find a home in the private rented sector. Let2Barnet looks for properties on behalf of all households that have a housing need. However, it is often quicker for applicants to find private rental sector properties themselves.

Finding my own property

While looking for your own property, if you find something which you think is suitable and affordable then please let your Housing Needs Officer know, or contact the Let2Barnet team directly on 020 8359 4761. If you let them know, they can use the Landlord Incentive Scheme to offer the landlord a financial incentive to take you on as a tenant.

Click here for information on the Landlord Incentive Scheme.

Click here for advice on how to find a property in the private sector.

For more information about Let2Barnet and the Landlord Incentive Scheme, contact us on 020 8610 3539, or email

After I find my own property, what do I do next?

Once you have found a property that you would like to rent, and once you are certain that you can afford the rent and that the owner or agent has agreed to let to you, please contact the Let2Barnet team on 0208 359 4761 or

You must not sign a tenancy agreement or hand over any of your own money before speaking to the Let2Barnet team.

What will Let2Barnet do next?

Let2Barnet will contact the landlord/letting agent to explain how they can work with them and how the incentive works. Once it is agreed that the rent is affordable, and once the landlord/agent accepts you as a tenant and accepts our incentive, you can sign an assured shorthold tenancy. The term must be for a minimum of 12 months.

The Let2Barnet team will arrange an appointment for you to bring your signed tenancy agreement to our office as soon as possible. If you are claiming housing benefit you will need to submit a new claim. We will assist you with this.

All landlords have a legal responsibility to provide an energy performance certificate (EPC) and gas safety certificate (GSC) for their property. You have the right to request a copy of this.

The incentive payment will be made to the landlord after we receive the required documents from him/her.

If you have any questions regarding this or your case, you can contact our housing options team on 020 8610 3539.