Why do I have to move?

The regeneration of 4 estates across Barnet began in 2010 and is due to be completed by 2022. The regeneration scheme will be delivered in several phases.

When a property on these estates is required for demolition, the property will no longer be used to provide temporary accommodation. Current residents will be required to move at the time the property is required for demolition.

When will I have to move out?

We will move non-secure tenants out in the same phases as the secure tenants. We will contact you approximately 6 – 12 months before your property is due to be demolished to invite you in for an assessment of your housing need. If alternative accommodation is offered, the actual notice period before you need to move may be as little as one week.

Where will I be moved to?

This will depend on both our available housing stock at the time you need to move and our assessment of your housing need. Although we will try to provide alternative accommodation in the area you choose, due to housing pressures in Barnet we cannot guarantee this.  We will aim to rehouse you with minimal disruption to your household’s work and schooling circumstances.

Why can’t I get a new home on the estate?

As part of the proposed regeneration it was agreed that all secure tenants whose homes were being demolished would be offered new accommodation on the regeneration estate. Those with non-secure tenancies are not covered by this agreement and Barnet cannot automatically offer these people new accommodation on the regeneration estate.

However, Barnet Homes will assist you to find alternative accommodation.

How much notice will I get before I have to move out?

We will try to give you as much notice as possible, but in practice things can happen very quickly once a suitable property becomes available. You can expect to have at least one week’s notice before you have to move out.  It is important that you are ready to move so that your rehousing is not delayed.

Will I get any help with paying for a removal company?

We may be able to assist you with removals through our external partners; this will depend on your estate. For more details contact 0208 359 4797.What sort of accommodation will I be moved to?

Your housing need will be assessed according to the criteria in Barnet Council’s Allocation Scheme.  We will offer you a property that meets your needs as determined by our assessment. This means it will be affordable, have the right number of bedrooms for your household, and will be in an area that is reasonable for you. for more information on Barnet Council’s Allocations Scheme.

Due to a shortage of housing in relation to demand, we will place more importance on what you need rather than what you want.

Will I get a Council house?

The type and length of the tenancy you are given will depend on your circumstances at the time of your assessment. The property you are offered could be “permanent” or temporary accommodation owned by Barnet Council or a Housing Association. It may be private rented accommodation, or temporary accommodation on another one of our estates. Those who are placed in higher bands are often those who receive Council or Housing Association properties.  Those who are placed in lower bands are more likely to receive a property in the private sector.

The London Borough of Barnet, like many other landlords, offers very few “lifelong secure tenancies” anymore.  These tenancies are usually only given to ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­those of pensionable age or with a long term disability. This means that if you are offered a home in a property owned by the London Borough of Barnet you will be granted a “flexible tenancy” of either 2 or 5 years duration, after which time your circumstances will be reviewed.

What is the banding system and how does it work?

The Council’s Allocations Scheme prioritises customers for rehousing using a banding system. Once an assessment has been carried out, you will be placed into one of four bands.  This allows us to prioritise rehousing those who have the greatest need. General guidelines on who is placed in each band are detailed below.

Band 1 You have an urgent need to move because:

  • You have an exceptional medical need
  • You are statutorily overcrowded by 3 bedrooms
Band 2 Your household QUALIFIES for the Positive Community Contribution and you have a housing need.
Band 3 Your household DOES NOT QUALIFY for the Positive Community Contribution but you have a housing need.
Band 4 You have a housing need but:

  • You have rent arrears
  • You have breached your tenancy
  • You have left your property in a poor condition


What is “Positive Community Contribution” and why is it important?

“Positive Community Contribution” is awarded to tenants who are working, volunteering or in educational training for the required amount of time specified by the Council’s Allocation Scheme.  If your household qualifies for this, you may be placed into Band 2 rather than Band 3.  This may be important for you because those placed in Band 2 are more likely to receive a Council or Housing Association property than those placed in Band 3.  For more information about volunteering in Barnet, contact CommUNITY Barnet on 0208 8364 8400 or volunteer@communitybarnet.org.uk.  For assistance in searching for a job, contact JobCentre Plus in Edgware on 0845 606 0234 or JobCentre Plus in Finchley on 0845 604 3719.

What do I do if I have rent arrears?

If you do not pay your rent or if you breach any other clauses of your tenancy agreement you will receive a lower priority and may not be banded at all.  If you have rent arrears, please contact the Rental Income Team as soon as possible on 0208 359 4817 (West Hendon), 0208 359 2692 (Stonegrove) and 0208 259 4649 (Dollis Valley) who can support you in managing your rent arrears and set up a repayment plan.

Further support is available from our Welfare Benefit Advisors on 0208 359 2691, who can help you ensure that you are maximising your benefit income.

Independent advice and support is also available from StepChange on 0800 138 1111 or CAP on 0800 328 0006.

If alternative accommodation is in short supply, how will you decide who to move first?

We will carry out a “housing needs assessment” on you and your family about 6-12 months before you need to move. You can help speed up this process by providing documents and information (such as birth certificates and medical information) when we request it. The speed with which your application and move are processed is dependent on your co-operation with our investigations.  We will not be able to provide you with alternative accommodation until you have provided all the necessary documentation and we have completed our assessment.

People placed in Bands 1 or 2 are often moved more quickly as they have more options for rehousing due to their greater priority.  It is likely that those placed in either Bands 3 or 4 will only be offered private sector housing or alternate temporary accommodation.

What do I do if I disagree with your decisions?

If you believe that Barnet Homes has put you in the wrong band or that Barnet Homes has made you an offer of accommodation that is unsuitable, you will have the right to appeal. Details about how to lodge an appeal will be provided with your assessment letter.

What should I do if I am affected by the Benefit Cap?

If you are affected by the benefit cap, this will limit which properties are affordable for you.  If this is the case, please contact us as soon as possible so that we can support you to find appropriate alternative housing.  Our Welfare Reform Task Force can also assist you.  You can contact them on 0208 359 2442.

Where can I get independent advice?

You can contact Shelter on 0808 800 4444.

If you are an older resident, you can contact First Stop on 0800 377 7070.

If you are a Dollis Valley resident, you can contact Rob Williams (Resident Independent Advisor) at Solon on Freephone: 0800 884 0800.

If you are a Stonegrove resident, you can contact Chris McConnachie (Resident Independent Advisor) at PEP on 0800 374 864 or chris.m@pep.org.uk.

If you are a West Hendon resident, you can contact John Morris (Resident Independent Advisor) on 020 8348 6418 or 07709 091919 email: mail@johnmorris.uk.com.

Further information for all residents is available from Funmi Folaranmi on 0208 359 4618 or funmi.folaranmi@barnethomes.org