The Barnet Group is a local authority trading company (LATC) that was created in February 2012. It is wholly owned by the London Borough of Barnet. Across the Group we employ around 1,000 staff, providing a range of services to people who live in council-owned homes, people who are homeless or facing homelessness, care and support clients from Barnet and other local authorities, and private customers. We are a not-for-profit organisation, which means that any income we generate is reinvested into building and maintaining homes, improving our public services, and supporting communities.
Our Vision is for customers to be our biggest advocates.
Our Mission is to make a real difference to every customer.
Our Values of show respect, find solutions, and make a difference reflect our common understanding of what we stand for, how we shape our decision-making, and how we show our customers and stakeholders what is important to us.
Our ethos is to be person-centred, which means treating everyone we meet as an individual and remembering that one size does not fit all.
The Barnet Group is the parent company to:
- Barnet Homes – established as the London Borough of Barnet’s Arm’s Length Management Organisation (ALMO) in 2004 to manage approximately 13,000 council-owned homes within Barnet. Since 2012, Barnet Homes has also been responsible for managing the council’s homelessness and social housing allocations services on behalf of the council.
- Your Choice (Barnet) – established in 2012 to receive the transfer of adult social care services from the London Borough of Barnet. YCB provides a range of specialist adult social care services to people with support needs including learning and physical disabilities and those on the autistic spectrum, as well as care homes.
- TBG Flex – created in 2015 to recruit and employ staff for The Barnet Group, offering more flexible terms and conditions of employment.
- TBG Open Door (known as “Opendoor Homes”) – a subsidiary of Barnet Homes that gained Private Registered Provider status from the then Homes and Communities Agency in 2017. Opendoor Homes is now a registered society pursuant to section 115 of the Co-operative and Community Benefit Societies Act 2014, and it provides both social housing and private sector rented housing to help meet the demand for affordable housing within Barnet.
- Bumblebee Lettings – an online private lettings service and estate agent that has been providing quality bespoke property services to landlords and tenants throughout Barnet and the surrounding areas since 2018. Bumblebee was set up by The Barnet Group to offer customers a trustworthy and accountable service, mixing public sector values with private sector professionalism.
Our wide range of activities reflects the varied needs of our diverse customers, and includes:
- building and managing social housing;
- preventing homelessness and allocating social housing on behalf of Barnet Council;
- investing in communities;
- providing property maintenance services;
- carrying out urban regeneration projects;
- providing extra care, care homes, and sheltered housing services;
- providing specialist adult social care services to people with physical and learning disabilities, those on the autistic spectrum, and those with mental health problems; and
- providing support services to our residents and to other people living in Barnet.
The Barnet Group board and governance
Our board sets the strategic direction for our subsidiary organisations and is also responsible for identifying new business opportunities for the group.
Find out more about: