I thought for Black history month I would use the following recipes below and create my own Caribbean inspired Dish the finished product had Rice and Peas, Jerk chickpea curry, Plantain and Mango salad
For the Rice and Peas – From Bhavesh Patel
- 2 Cans of red kidney beans /1 pack of gungo peas
- 1small onion
- 3 spring onions
- 4 thyme branches
- 1 Scotch bonnet pepper
- Pimento seeds or 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 cup of rice (long grain or Basmati)Optional: Butter, All purpose seasoning.
- Pour 2 cans of red kidney Beans or gungo peas in pot and soak in water overnight (water slightly above peas)
- Place Pot on high heat on the stove and bring to a boil.
- Add 1tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper
- Add 1 small onion. 4 branches of fresh thyme, 3 spring onions 2 cloves of garlic 4 Pimento seeds / 1 tsp all spice 1 Scotch bonnet pepper and mix well
- Then add 1 can of coconut milk and stir well
- Wash 2 1/2 cups of rice thoroughly and pour into pot. Then mix rice well.
- Put foil on top of pot for quicker cook and place lid on top. Then cook for 40 mins on medium heat.
- Take out Scotch bonnet pepper
- Mix rice thoroughly from the bottom
- 800g [2 tins] Chickpeas
- 800g [2 tins] Coconut Milk
- 2 large [diced] Sweet Potato
- 1 [diced] white Onions
- 1 [chopped] Chilli
- 2 [minced] cloves of Garlic
- 1 inch [diced] Ginger
- 0.5 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Allspice
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Start off by heating oil (coconut oil is also great!) in a large pot on medium heat. Once hot, add the chopped onions and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, allspice, thyme, chilli and cook for another minute while stirring.
- Now add the coconut milk, sweet potato and chickpeas (with the liquid) and cook on a low heat for 20-30 minutes. The longer you simmer it, the greater the flavour.
However I used the above chickpea curry recipe, but instead of sweet potato I used aubergine and courgette and also added jerk seasoning, and scotch bonnet to it.
I made plantain which I shallow fried and made a mango salad – chopped mango, coriander, tomato, onion, a tiny bit of scotch bonnet, pepper and salt
Try it and see what you think!