A stopcock is a valve that regulates the flow of water through a pipe, particularly the main water supply feeding your home. A stopcock looks a bit like a tap, but without an outlet spout and it will be between two lengths of pipe, acting as a connector. It is important to know where it is located so that you can quickly shut the water off if there is a leak.

As a leaseholder, it is your responsibility to find out where your home’s stopcock is and to arrange any works relating to the water supply. You will usually find the stopcock for your home under the kitchen sink, but this is not always the case, especially in older homes. If yours is not under the kitchen sink, you should look elsewhere, such as;

  • In the airing cupboard,
  • Near the boiler,
  • Next to the front door, behind a panel,
  • In your bathroom,
  • Or elsewhere in your kitchen, perhaps hidden in a cupboard.

If you are still struggling to find it and you live shared house or flat, you might find your stopcock in a shared landing or hallway – you can locate it by looking for service pipes around your building.

For more information on leaseholder repairs responsibilities, scan the QR code.