Dear Ms St-Mart,

Thank you for your request dated 6 February 2024, asking for information that we hold as follows:


  1. safeguarding policy for people who are classed as SMI with regards to Rent payment, Council Tax, Changed of Circumstances


There is no specific Change of Circumstances or Rent Payment Safeguarding Policy. Where issues are raised in a change of circumstances, or in relation to rent payments which give rise to a safeguarding concern, this is escalated as necessary. Please see links to the Barnet Homes Safeguarding Policy and Vulnerable Tenants Policy –


Safeguarding Policy – Barnet Homes (


Vulnerable Tenants Policy – Barnet Homes (


Please note Council tax is a function managed by Barnet Council rather than Barnet Homes, and this part of your request will need to be directed to them.


  1. What are the criteria for people who are classed as SMI with regards to report a change of circumstances.


There is no specific criteria, each Change of Circumstances is assessed based on the specific change i.e. a change in the number of people in the household may result in a change in the housing need of the family.


  1. What information are there for people with SMI to report a change of Circumstances


Changes in circumstances may be reported via email, via the phone or via a letter.


  1. Please provide me with information If a person with SMI is not aware they have to report a change of circumstances 


We are awaiting clarity from you as per below


  1. What support is there for a person who is classed as SMI

We are awaiting clarity from you as per below

Advice and Assistance

As some of the information you have requested is not held by Barnet Homes but may be held by Barnet Council, they can be contacted at:


Barnet Council

Information Management Team (IMT),

2 Bristol Avenue, Colindale, London NW9 4EW



Your Rights

If you are unhappy with the way your request for information has been handled, you can request a review by emailing and marking it as an appeal for the attention of the Data Controller. There is no charge for making an appeal.

After this, if you remain dissatisfied with the handling of your request or complaint, you have the right to appeal to the Information Commissioner:

Kind regards