Barnet Homes has become aware of an increase in BBQs taking place on residents balconies. Residents should not have any kind of BBQ or open flame on their balcony. 

They create a significant fire risk, and can quickly spread to other flats or buildings.

London Fire Brigade Community Safety Group Manager Mark Hazelton said: “This is not just about burnt burgers, barbecues left unattended or worse still placed on a balcony pose a risk of fire.

“Unattended barbecues or barbecues placed too close buildings cause a real risk of a fire spreading onto a fence, or decking or a stray curtain.

“We don’t want to spoil people’s fun but we’re just reminding people to take extra care. If you’re having a barbecue be sure to keep it outdoors, don’t drink too much while cooking and keep a close eye on it especially if there are children or pets around. Never have a barbecue on a balcony.”

2016 saw an incident in Greenwich where the residents in a flat on Victoria Parade had a barbecue on their balcony and then left the premises. The disposable barbecue was not completely out, it burned through and caught light to decking.

Barbecue safety tips:

  • Never use a barbecue indoors or on a balcony.
  • Position your barbecue on level ground and keep it well away from anything that may catch fire (sheds, fences, trees, tents etc.)
  • Keep children, pets and garden games away from the barbecue
  • Have a bucket of water or sand nearby for emergency use.
  • Never use a barbecues indoors or in an unventilated space as there is a real risk of creating dangerous Carbon Monoxide gas.