Barnet Council is currently consulting on its draft Housing Strategy and the draft Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy. Both strategies set out their vision and plans for housing and homelessness over the next five years. The strategies cover a range of themes which provide a framework and action plan to address housing and homelessness related issues in Barnet.
Draft Housing Strategy
This draft strategy has been written to take account of major changes in the housing sector and the wider demographic and economic changes.
The main themes of the draft Housing Strategy are:
- Improving standards in the private rented sector
- Delivering more homes that people can afford
- Safe and secure homes
- Promoting independence
- Tackling homelessness and rough sleeping
You can view the full draft Housing Strategy here.
Draft Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy
This draft strategy has been written to address the issues identified in the Homeless Review.
The main themes of the draft Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy are:
- Preventing homelessness
- Reducing the number of households in temporary accommodation and securing sufficient accommodation for those at risk or who are homeless
- Establishing effective partnerships, working arrangements and support to those who are or used to be homeless, to improve their resilience and reduce the risk of them becoming homeless again
- Supporting rough sleepers to address their housing and other needs
You can view the full draft Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy here.
Give us your views
The consultations are open to all Barnet residents and residents who live outside the borough, as well as businesses, community and voluntary organisations. Barnet Council are keen to hear your views on both strategies.
You can do this by completing the:
- Draft Housing Strategy questionnaire.(External link)
- Draft Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy questionnaire.(External link)
There is also the opportunity to share your views with the Chair and Vice Chair of the Housing Committee on 21 November at 6.30pm, Colindale Library (7 Bristol Avenue, London, NW9 4BR).
If you would prefer a hard copy of the questionnaire or another format of questionnaire, please contact Joshua.Henry@Barnet.gov.uk or call 020 8359 7043.