We are proud to be supporting Gas Safety Week 2018 this week – as the message is one we fully get behind – the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.
Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register, the official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to work on gas.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas that can kill quickly with no warning, as you cannot see it, taste it or smell it.
As your landlord, we are legally responsible for your safety; and must make sure maintenance and annual safety checks on gas appliances are carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Barnet Homes are legally obliged to make sure:
• Gas pipework, appliances and flues provided for tenants are maintained in a safe condition.
• All gas appliances and flues provided for our tenants’ use have an annual safety check.
• Maintenance and annual safety checks are carried out by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
• All gas equipment (including any appliance left by a previous tenant) is safe or otherwise removed before re-letting.
• A Gas Safety Record is provided to the tenant within 28 days of completing the check or to any new tenant before they move in.
• We keep a copy of the Gas Safety Record for two years.
Before any gas work is carried out always check the engineer is qualified by checking the back of the engineer’s Gas Safe ID card when they arrive at the property. Please also remember that you should not carry out or employ anyone to carry out works to any gas appliances or associated pipework without prior permission from Barnet Homes.
For more information and to find or check an engineer visit GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
If you have any problems with your gas appliances please contact Barnet Homes’ gas contractor Mears through our contact centre 020 8359 5225.