How to claim Universal Credit

///How to claim Universal Credit
How to claim Universal Credit 2017-11-28T11:04:14+00:00

Visit gov.uk/universal-credit to apply for and maintain your UC claim online.

Need to use a computer? We can help

Universal Credit is managed online so from time to time you’ll need to check your online Journal if you need to report a change of circumstances or to ask a question about your claim. If you don’t have access to the internet, there’s a number of other ways you can get online.

You can use a computer free of charge, get help with your Universal Credit application, and get advice on getting into employment by contacting Burnt Oak BOOST on 020 8359 5600 and visiting the team at either Burnt Oak Library, Watling Avenue, Burnt Oak, Edgware, HA8 0UB, or Childs Hill BOOST on 020 8359 7200 and visiting the team at Childs Hill library, 320 Cricklewood Lane, London NW2 2QE.

For IT classes in Barnet, friendly and experienced tutors from Barnet and Southgate College offer professionally taught ‘beginners plus’ and basic Microsoft Word, internet and email IT courses at East Barnet, Grahame Park and Hendon public libraries.

To be eligible for these courses you must be a permanent UK resident, aged 19+ and have basis English skills. Please contact Nick Black on 020 8275 5053 for courses at East Barnet and Hendon library or Nicola Borthwick on 020 8266 4211 for courses at Grahame Park library.

For additional courses, including English languages classes, please contact Jacqui Jones on 020 8359 4777.

Information you will need before you start claiming

The first step is to access gov.uk Verify Online. You choose from a list of certified companies and answer some questions and checks to verify your identity. It takes about 15 minutes and must be completed before making a UC application.

You will you also need to set up an email account prior to making an application.

  • You will then need the following information:
  • Your postcode
  • Your national insurance number
  • Details of the bank or building society account you want UC paid into
  • Your tenancy agreement
  • Details of your savings or other capital
  • Details of any income that’s not from work, for example an insurance plan
  • Details of any other benefits you’re getting
  • Details of any children including their Child Benefit numbers
  • You may also need the above information for people who live in your home such as a partner

What will change?

If you’re successful with your claim, you’ll usually get your first payment one month and 14 days after you made your claim.

If you are currently receiving benefits and have a change of circumstances and need to claim the full UC service, this may mean that your next payment will be made after one month and seven days. All future payments will be paid monthly in arrears.

If you will find it difficult to adjust from your existing weekly or fortnightly benefit payments to a monthly payment in arrears, you can ask for an advance on your first month’s payment. This is then taken off your future monthly UC payment.

If you contact the Taskforce on 020 8359 2442, they can help you to apply for an advance UC payment.

UC is paid monthly in arrears to a household and direct into your bank or building society account. This means that when there is more than one person in a household making a claim (for example a couple), UC will be paid jointly and not to each person individually.

The ‘housing element’ of UC (previously called Housing Benefit) will be paid direct to you (if a single person household) or to the household, and not directly to your council rent account.

One of the biggest changes with UC is that housing costs (previously called Housing Benefit) are paid directly by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to residents as part of the monthly UC payment. This means you will have to pay your full rent to the council.
Council Tax Support – if you apply for UC, your UC payment includes a payment of your rent (housing costs) but does not include council tax support. Therefore, please apply for council tax support at barnet.gov.uk.