Equality and Diversity is central to delivering our Business Plan goals of:
- Support which enables our customers and service users to lead improved and where possible more independent lives
- Value for money services that our customers and service users want
We have employed an assurance and project based approach which allows us to
- Identify areas for priority focus and give staff the skills and tools to deliver compliant services
- Monitor the impact of our services have on our customers and the greater population of Barnet
- Identify and address equality gaps
- Continually improve services and meet customer needs where we are able.
These actions help us to meet the Equality Act 2010, which came into force in April 2011.
The Equality Act 2010 is the most recent piece of legislation which pulls together and strengthens all previous legislation. As a public organisation to meet the Act and General Equality Duty we must, where it applies:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victiminisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- Foster good relations between different groups
Compliance with the Act must apply across the following protected characteristics: race, gender, gender reassignment, disability, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, religion or belief and age. We also consider the impact on other groups, for example those on a low income or single parents.
We will also work closely with Barnet Council and other partners including to contractors to improve upon and deliver existing and new services to our customers in line with the aims and principles of the General Equality Duty.
“As both Board Member and resident of Barnet Homes, I have experienced first-hand the vital contribution that valuing diversity and equality makes towards building both a successful organisation and supporting our communities.
“This commitment is made clear through the publication of our Equality and Diversity Policy Statement and is brought to life daily in the behaviors and standards of all at Barnet Homes.
“As Board Champion, I endeavour to play my part in supporting these high standards, and ensuring their constant presence in all matters of corporate governance.”
David Atta, our Equality and Diversity board champion